What Changes Might You Have to Make to Attract Millennials/Generation Y?
The trend for hiring younger employees is nothing particularly new in business but it’s useful to know just why it’s beneficial to do this and how it can help your business to grow and build a succession plan for the future.
Millennials refers to people ranging from 20 to their early 30s. Also called ‘Generation Y’, Millennials are a demographic that a lot of companies are now looking to attract.
As the workplace becomes more and more geared towards technology, it’s no surprise that the generation who’ve grown up with it will be highly sought after by businesses who want to get ahead in the digital age.
The Benefits of Hiring Millennials
Before looking at what changes you might have to make to your business in order to attract Millennials, it’s worth knowing what the biggest strengths of this demographic are.
- Great at Multi-tasking – Millennials are extremely adept at multi-tasking and will comfortably be able to handle multiple responsibilities. This can be an invaluable skill for employees of your business to have, especially when you need them to cope well under pressure.
- Tech Savvy – Another huge benefit of hiring Millennials is that they’re usually very tech savvy and are used to using the internet, social media and software programs, having grown up with it.This means that you don’t have to spend as much time training them and in fact they’ll often be able to educate you, especially when it comes to things like using social media sites in your business.
- Always Connected – Since Millennials are tech savvy it means you’re never going to have a problem getting hold of them. This is one of the key advantages of living in an always connected world.Of course this does come with its downsides as texting and using social media sites in the workplace can prove to be a distraction with Millennials.
So… What Changes to Make to Attract Millennials
When you want to attract Millennials to work for you, it’s vital to understand what their biggest wants and needs are. Below are some of the biggest things that Millennials look for in an employer :-
- Flexible Working Hours – Most Millennials are going to be attracted to a company that gives them flexible working hours and offers a good balance between work and play. It’s always good to make it clear up front how your company operates as far as this concerned. If you’re able to offer work-from-home hours for part of the job or flexi-time then this is ideal.
- Transparency – Transparency is high up on the priority of an Millennial when looking for a new employer.Knowing exactly what the job will entail and feeling like there will be freedom to express ideas will certainly be a big attraction to work for your organisation. Cultural fit is important to them and therefore, using your current employees as advocates works really well in attraction strategies.
- Collaboration – Millennials typically like to work as part of a team and be able to collaborate on projects. This means it’s very helpful to nurture a community-oriented workplace if you want to attract talented Millennials.Also, reward and recognition for the whole team goes down well too.
This Blog post was brought to you by Nicola Kleinmann, Founder of www.love2recruit.com and www.jobzwizard.com
I love to connect, please link in with me here – https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolakleinmann or follow me on https://twitter.com/NicolaKleinmann